6 Important Documents for a Marriage-Based Green Card Application

If you have found the love of your life in another country, but yet you are a United States citizen, your spouse could potentially enter the U.S. for residency with a marriage-based green card. Since there are some complexities to the process, it is best to consult with an immigration law firm in Houston TX.

To apply for this option, though, several documents will be required. If you don’t have all of them, there may be substitutes that you can use. Here are the papers you should start finding.

A Birth Certificate

The married couple will be required to have a certified photocopy of their birth certificates. How you come by this document will depend on where you were born. The paperwork must have your full name, the place of your birth, and the names of both parents.

A Marriage Certificate

You must prove that a legal and valid marriage exists between you and your spouse. This means submitting a photocopy of the marriage certificate to the U.S. government. You can get a copy of the certificate from the vital records office in the state where you were married, or you may have to contact a government agency if you were married outside of the United States.

Your Financial Documents

There are income requirements for every sponsoring spouse involved in the marriage-based green card application. These financial guidelines are making sure that the spouse entering the United States will be financially supported by the sponsoring spouse.

Evidence of Citizenship

The spouse that is considered the sponsor in the marriage must provide proof that they have permanent residence or citizenship in the United States. A marriage-based green card can be sponsored by either another green card holder or a U.S. citizen. Depending on your situation, you can either use a copy of your birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, permanent resident card, valid U.S. passport, or consular report of birth abroad.

Police Clearance Certificate

The spouse seeking a green card must have a police clearance certificate from the country where he or she has lived since the age of 16. This isn’t a copy of a police record, but this, and court or prison records may also be needed if there is a record or history with law enforcement and arrests.

Also, ReadHow Does a Class Action Work?

Divorcer Papers

Either spouse that had been married previously must provide proof that the marriage has been legally terminated. This form will be different from a marriage that ended by annulment or through a prior spouse’s death.

For help with your application, consult an immigration attorney. You don’t want the application denied because you failed to include the needed paperwork.

Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *